Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sarah who?

Know how you go into a movie thinking "This is going to be great. I've heard such good things about it" and you leave thinking, "Maybe they have multiple versions of this film, and I somehow got the sucky one"

Ya sooo......
Last night I started watching my latest Netflix hardcopy: Forgetting Sarah Marshall.  I managed to fall asleep about a third of the way into it and found myself thinking.....after i woke up.....that I should probably wake up a little earlier than usual and finish it so that I could put it back in the mail as soon as possible. Really I could have just skipped the part where I watched it altogether, but I like to get a nice dose of things before I write them off.  Initially I was enthused because I was unaware of who all were starring in the movie. Sarah was played by this hot blonde that I saw a few times on Heroes and the hotel girl was the one chick from That 70's Show that also does the voice of Meg Griffin on Family Guy(she looks quite nice in this movie) and of course Jason Segel from How I Met Your Mother. My delight soon turned do dismay though when I was forced to see Jason Segel naked with his penis floppin all around.....which unfortunitely, was not the last time.  There was a lot of nudity from him even after the puppet show and though I realize he must be incredibly comfortable with his body, I on the other hand am not......comfortable with his body.  Also there was this guy who was the "new boyfriend" only he was just really really horrid looking and also chunky and got very annoying even though he provided me with the one or two laughs total that I had during the movie.  A few times I had the thought "Who would even do that?" in response to some of the ways the characters were handling the various situations that were proposed. I'm not supposed to be asking myself that......its a fictional movie and I should be readily accepting all the outrageous hijinks that ensued, but somehow I just could not involve myself enough in it to even believe any of it.  I feel like a few things were skipped over that maybe should have been explained, and sometimes the events in the storyline weren't even cohesive. That bugs me.

After finishing it and being completely unimpressed, I happened upon the start of the credits where it said: Written by Jason Segel.
.....he wrote it himself.
That explains the huge amounts of unecessary nudity(really I could have gone my whole life without the penis flapping section...it was very Bruno), and the ending, which I felt was sub par at best....A puppet show?

Why Jason??? Why do you want to give me this to watch and then tell me you wrote it?  Its like when you're close with someone and they have a talent that they feel like they're awesome at and you know that in reality, they are very far from that awesome. You just don't bring it up and hope that they dont go overboard with it and start sharing their less than amazing talents with people who are only too happy to set them straight.
Anyhow, I'm gonna have to give a big Hmmm No to this movie as it kind of reminded me of plain yogurt...dull, lacking, and unremarkable with a bad after taste.

A puppet show? Really??

2 comments:

  1. I think you must've seen the unrated version. There is only one naked scene in the theatrical release version. It's unfortunate it got mixed up

    ReplyDelete
  2. perhaps the theatrical version didnt include a puppet show

    ReplyDelete