Saturday, January 9, 2010

I suck at rice


Its official....I can't make rice.  This causes me huge amounts of irritation because I love it soo much.  I pretty much grew up eating rice every day at home and am still quite fine with eating it merrily for probably the rest of my life. Its my favorite staple and also since I can't eat wheat anymore, it has become the "King Ding-a-ling" of my diet. It actually brings me legitimate fear to think about it.  Here's the thing...I can cook, in fact I'd say judging on my own thoughts and the many thoughts of the general public that have sampled my work, that I cook pretty darn well. I don't claim any handle on baking but I have even made some nice advances there.  I even show people how to do different things in the kitchen and give tips all the time on prep and execution, so really its not a lack of skill...just a lack of skill with rice, and I just don't know why.....chimps can cook rice, for pete's sake! Its pudding, or its raw, or its....crunchy(that was yesterday's foiled attempt) and I feel like I just can't win.

Buy a rice cooker? Sure!

Nope! I can't even cook rice in a rice cooker which is probably like the simplest convenience device ever, next to the electric kettle.  Epic Fail. I even asked mom, assorted friends, even read up on it (there were some interesting articles) and though apparently there are other people out there...chefs even....who have the same plight, they all seem to have worked it out with the help of a rice cooker. So I'm screwed.  I'm supposed to practice with this new rice cooker I got for Christmas but I really just want to give up and buy the 90 second rice singles like always, because of how much genuine anxiety it causes me.



 I want to give myself the mandate that I WILL conquer rice and make it my biatch, but I don't really know if its just going to be something I'll never be able to do.  AArgh!

No comments:

Post a Comment